sept. 22nd 2014
Over the past four weeks an alarming number of U.S. Iraq war resisters in Canada have been notified that decisions are imminent in their cases.
One resister has received a deportation date. Others are awaiting removal decisions.
The War Resisters Support Campaign is deeply concerned that this is the beginning of an attempt by the Harper government to remove remaining U.S. war resisters from Canada.
We are calling on supporters once again to take action. The strong response of Canadians is what has kept U.S. war resisters in Canada for the past ten years.
Here are two things you can do to help right now:
1. Write to Chris Alexander, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and cc your MP – they need to hear from you! Let them know that:
• U.S. war resisters came to Canada because of their conscientious objection to the illegal and immoral war in Iraq
• they have faced direct interference in their cases by the Harper government and have not been able to get a fair hearing
• a majority of Canadians want them to stay in Canada
• ask the Minister to cease all deportations
Hon. Chris Alexander
Minister of Citizenship & Immigration
House of Commons, Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1A 0A6
To find the contact info for your MP, go to http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenatorsMembers.aspx?Language=E and enter your postal code under “Find a Member of Parliament”.
2. Donations are urgently needed for the war resisters defence fund. Please donate online at gofundme.com/letthemstay; or send a cheque or money order to: War Resisters Support Campaign, 427 Bloor Street West, Box 3, Toronto, ON M5S 1X7
2. Donate to the Defence Fund for war resisters
You can make a donation online at http://gofundme.com/letthemstay
Or send a cheque or money order made out to WAR RESISTERS SUPPORT CAMPAIGN to:
427 Bloor Street West
And please share this information widely. Thank you.